Medical Properties Trust (NYSE: MPW) invests in hospitals across the United States and Western Europe, providing much-needed capital for facility improvements, technology upgrades, acquisitions and new construction.
From its founding in 2003 through 2014, the company had built a real estate portfolio of more than 170 facilities, representing an investment of nearly $5 billion. MPT pioneered the innovative use of sale/leaseback transactions to meet the specific needs of hospitals, and no financing source knows hospitals better – from reimbursement requirements and the regulatory environment, to the myriad challenges hospital operators face every day in operating a successful facility or a whole chain of facilities.
Hodges & Associates’ assignment in producing MPT’s 2014 Annual Report was to tell the story of the most remarkable year in company’s 12-year history, highlighting investments of more than $1.4 billion in the U.S. and Western Europe while emphasizing the company’s primary focus on acute care hospitals – “at the very heart of healthcare.”
Hodges & Associates’ approach to this assignment can best be described as photojournalistic – to tell the overall story of the year in highly readable, well designed, well illustrated stories that engage, inform and motivate the reader and that collectively emphasize MPT’s industry leading position as the preferred source of capital for hospitals.
Hodges & Associates has handled marketing communications for Medical Properties Trust since the company was formed, and the 2014 Annual Report marked the 11th consecutive report that we have had the privilege of producing. MPT uses the Annual Report as a marketing tool throughout the year – to attract operators and investors, and ultimately grow its business.
Reactions to the Annual Report from our longstanding client have been very positive. Equally gratifying have been the reactions of people and companies featured in the stories. (Each quotation must be approved in context, so we send both copy and layouts to everyone featured, for their review and approval before going to press.)
Here’s the Top Ten List of Reactions to MPT’s 2014 Annual Report:
10. “A very well done report,” said shareholders and board members at MPT’s Annual Meeting in May.
9. “Thanks for the professional spread,” said the CEO of a private hospital group in the U.K. about the story on one of his hospitals.
8. "I really like the title ‘Nothing Changed’ – what an interesting story and a great way to help people see how MPT has grown by remaining true to its principles and its business plan," said the principal of a European private equity firm who had partnered with MPT on the buying side of a nearly $1 billion purchase of 40 German hospitals.
7. "I have to say, we speak with a number of media people…(and) you clearly know your client and their business better than most people do,” said the CEO of another European capital group, who participated in negotiations on the sellers’ side of the same transaction.
6. “GREAT annual report. Thank you for all the long hours and the tremendous amount of work you do,” said MPT’s Senior Vice President and Senior Managing Director of Acquisitions, who uses the Annual Report throughout the year as a marketing tool.
5. “The stories, photography and layout are all fantastic and I am proud of the work you have done…and glad you are on our team,” said one of MPT’s Executive Vice Presidents and Founders.
4. “We have some incredible people and you captured the culture really well,” said MPT’s Director of Healthcare, who has been part of MPT for nearly its entire history, and who has witnessed the team’s solid, steady growth.
3. “I just spoke with...(the) general counsel (of one of the featured hospital operating companies). She was calling about another matter, but also wanted to express on behalf of herself and all of (the company) how appreciative they were for the article on (their hospital)...She said that they were so humbled that we would choose to include them and felt that you and your team had really captured the essence of their operations. Thank you for making us all shine!” said MPT’s Director of Asset Management and Underwriting.
2. “I had the opportunity yesterday to sit down and read the entire annual report cover to cover and, once again, I am so impressed...” said a stockholder. “What an amazing book!”
1. And finally this, from MPT’s Chairman, President and CEO: "This is the best Annual Report you have ever produced, and we say that year after year. I don't know how you manage to do it again and again..."
Hodges & Associates/thehighroad.com, inc.
The Dr. Pepper Building, Suite 300 2829 2nd Avenue South Birmingham, AL 35233 US